The method of this blog

Let's read Ulysses by James Joyce


It is not fun to read in order from the beginning, so I want to read it randomly.

Just like casting dice and following the rolls. I came up with the following method.

 

  1. First, select a page. I use the Gabler edition. The text of the novel ranges from 3 to 644 pages. I use Random.org, a site that generates random numbers, to select one of the pages from 3 to 644.  If 562 is given, it means page 562.



  2. Once the page is selected, generate another random number on the same site and select a line. For example, on page 562, there are lines 667 to 702, so choose one from 667 to 702. If number 697 comes out, it means line 697.

  3. Page and line are fixed. If 562 and 697 are selected, it means page 562, line 697. This is described as (U562.697). I select a few lines including that line and read through.

 




The quotation for this blog comes from the Project Gutenberg text.

Let us go then, you and I.




Image by sergei.gussev is licensed under CC BY 2.0


No comments:

Post a Comment